About The Village
Cheddington is situated 10 miles to the east of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. To the south west, West End Hill is designated as a local landscape area.
Known in ancient times as Cetendone, Cheddington is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. For centuries most men worked in agriculture. Cheddington was noted for its orchards and when the railway arrived in 1838, the station handled more plums than passengers! Although the last remaining orchard is still there, it is no longer maintained and the land has recently been divided and sold off as separate lots.
Visit our History pages for more information.
The latest (2001) census statistics indicate that the Cheddington ward - which includes Horton and Slapton - had 626 households and a population of 1,555.
Saint Giles Church dates back to 1190 but most of the present building dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The tower contains six bells, the earliest dating from 1593. The Methodist Church is situated at the Green.
Cheddington County Combined School is recognised as one of the best in the area. The popular Pre-School is also located there.
The village has two excellent public houses, the Three Horseshoes, providing a traditional atmosphere with real ales and pub food, and the Old Swan, a traditional thatched pub and restaurant.
Mason's general store is in Barkham Close.
Cheddington has a modern village hall and facilities for a wide range of recreational and sporting activities.
A good network of footpaths and bridleways serve the village including two circular walks and the Two Ridges Link which can be accessed at the railway station.
Cheddington has a railway station with regular trains to London Euston.
The Residents Association produces the Cheddington Village Newsletter 10 times a year. Copy can be sent to the Editor by Email to
Village clubs and societies include tennis, bowls, petanque, badminton, amateur dramatics, history society, Women's Institute, flower club, old timers, nifty fifties, baby and toddler, youth4youth, youth drama, uniformed groups and ramblers. For further derails see the village organisations section of this website.